Saturday, August 10, 2013

Peach Bundt Cake


I bought a bundt cake pan from a antique store in Snellville, Ga. I thought it was so cute especially for 8 bucks, a bargain as far as I'm concerned.

My mom asked if I could whip something up for dinner. We were having barbecue pulled turkey, potato salad, and corn on the cob. I know very yummy.

Anywho, I looked through the cabinets. I saw some canned peaches with heavy syrup. We didn't have any fresh fruit otherwise I would of taken another route. I just strained the peaches and I added lemon juice to balance the sweetness, and yucky syrupy taste. It worked fine. I used half a lemon and went from there, adding more to taste.

I made two cakes in the same pan on rotation. I really dislike that, but hey that's what happens when you only have one cute bundt cake pan, that is somewhere between 6-8''.

I will say the first cake was hella dry, and it took forever to bake! I kept checking and it was done in certain areas and not others. I don't even know why. The second cake was fabulous and moist. The original recipe has a syrup that goes with it, and I'm sure that would counteract the dryness because it will soak into the cake. I really wanted some caramel to go with it though.

I went a little overboard, ey?

Peach Bundt Cake 
(recipe via Kuntal's Kitchen)

3 cups all-purpose flower
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks), unsalted butter, softened
1 3/4 cups sugar
4 large eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups diced peaches

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and lightly flour inside of 10 inch bundt pan.
Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
Beat the butter at medium speed with a mixer until creamy, about 2 minutes. Gradually add sugar and beat at medium-high speed until the mixture is light in texture and color, about 3 minutes. Beat in eggs and one at a time, beating for 30 to 40 seconds after each addition. Scrape down sides of bowl as necessary. Beat in vanilla bean. At low speed, add flour mixture in three additions, alternating with sour cream

Scoop half of batter into pan and spread with spatula. Sprinkle with peaches. Scoop remaining half of batter on top of peaches. Smooth with spatula.

Bake cake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool the cake in the pan on a cooling rack for 10 minutes, then invert it onto another rack.

Caramel Glaze
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 stick of butter

Melt butter and sugar together in a small saucepan over medium heat while whisking.
Add cream as the butter and sugar begin to dissolve, continue to whisk.
Once it starts to froth and bubble remove from heat while still whisking. Pour into a bowl, set aside.
Once the cake has cooled pour the caramel all over the top of the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment