Sunday, March 31, 2013

Key Lime Pie

 Happy Easter!!

I really slept the day away. Until a couple of minutes ago, where I started freaking out that it's almost 8pm and I haven't even posted today. My sleep schedule is bonkers! I know that's nothing new because I commonly talk about it.

My grandma made dinner today, and I missed that. She saved me a plate of all my favorite Southern goodies, like her famous macaroni & cheese. So I'll be saving that when it's time to watch Game of Thrones tonight.

just as yummy naked

Besides all of that. I made Key Lime Pie. I made this at night because I had such a killer sweet tooth. So forgive me for the terrible lighting. I just knew I couldn't wait until morning to have a slice, and waiting we did not do.

You can clearly see the damage.

Dressed up + almost gone

I didn't change anything about the recipe I used. I saw the recipe on Pinterest, not such a surprise ey. It's awesome and I wouldn't change anything. Well actually I probably would use more graham cracker crumbs so the top looks as even as the bottom but that doesn't bother me, but aesthetically it kind of does. I do need a microplane as soon as possible because, I had to use a cheese grater. So I noticed that there was a bitter aftertaste with every bite, but I still devoured it.


Key Lime Pie 
(recipe via Brown Eyed Baker)

4 teaspoons grated lime zest
4 egg yolks
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
½ cup fresh lime juice

1 cup graham crackers crumbs (about 9 graham crackers)
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and still warm

1½ cups cold heavy cream
½ cup powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 325°F.

Filling: Whisk the lime zest and egg yolks together in a medium bowl for 2 minutes. Whisk in the sweetened condensed milk, then the lime juice. Set aside at room temperature to thicken while you prepare the crust.

Crust: In a medium bowl, stir together the graham cracker crumbs and the granulated sugar. While mixing with a fork, slowly drizzle in the melted butter to graham cracker and sugar mixture. The mixture should look like wet sand. Place the crumbs in your 9'' pie pan, and press evenly into the pan. Bake the crust until it begins to brown (15-18 minutes). Let cool to room temperature on a wire rack

When the crust has cooled to room temperature, pour the lime filling into the crust. Bake until the center is set, yet still wiggly when jiggled, (15-17 minutes). Return the pie to a wire rack; cool to room temperature.

Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.

Whipped Cream: Using an electric mixer, whip the cream on medium speed until soft peaks form. At this point, add the powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, while continuing to whip the cream until stiff peaks form.

Cover leftovers with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 3 days.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Karen, this pie looks sooooo delicious. I have to try it. Gonna let you know, how it worked out. Lovely site;-)
    sabrinasue;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sabrinasue :) You will love the pie, it's fantastic!!

      Delete