Sunday, November 18, 2012

Strawberry Cupcakes

Today is my birthday!! Woohoo

I had a birthday dinner Sunday with my beau and his family to help me celebrate. My beau's mum made me shrimp scampi, my choice. It was fantastic!! I can't believe I haven't had it in years. Surprisingly, his family never tried it before. It was a good night.

I also got an item that has been on my wishlist for a very long time, Curlformers. I already tried them last night and it was pretty uncomfortable sleeping with them in my hair. My hair is really thick so I could only do a side at a time. I'm sure I will post about my experience soon once I get the hang of them.

I made cupcakes! I made cupcakes last year for my birthday as well. This time they are a vanilla cupcake topped with strawberry cream cheese frosting.


The vanilla cupcakes turned out well, but they were a bit dry! Definitely not as moist as I would of liked, they were more dense like pound cake. I might have left them in the oven a tad bit long. I still loved these cupcakes though, and I devoured them with my beau. I loved how the frosting turned out, the flavour was perfect for me. I didn't want to use jam to get the strawberry flavor so I just made my own puree. The piping might look a bit odd because I only had Ziploc bags in the pantry.

Strawberry Cupcakes

Vanilla Cupcakes:
Yield: 12 cupcakes
(recipe via Brown Eyed Baker

 1½ cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon table salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick), room temperature
½ cup sour cream
1 large egg, room temperature
2 large egg yolks, room temperature
1½ teaspoons vanilla extract

Heat oven to 350F. Line a standard muffin/cupcake tin with cupcake liners.

Whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl. Add butter, sour cream, egg and egg yolks, and vanilla; beat at medium speed using an electric mixer until it appears smooth and satiny, 30 seconds. Scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula, and mix by hand until there are no flour pockets visible.

Divide batter evenly in the cupcake liners. Bake for 20-24 minutes, or until they are pale gold and a toothpick/skewer comes out clean.

Strawberry Frosting:
(adapted recipe via Natasha's Kitchen)

4 ounces Cream Cheese, room temperature
3/4 cup powder sugar
3/4 cup cold heavy cream
3/4 teaspoons strawberry puree ( I used 2-4 strawberries in a blender)
Pink food dye (optional)

Whip heavy cream on high speed using an electric mixer till fluffy.

In a second bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar on low speed, then beat in strawberry puree (feel free to use more puree if you desire a stronger strawberry taste)

Fold in whipped cream in the cream cheese mixture. When the cupcake are cool pipe the frosting on the cupcakes.




8 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! I hope you enjoyed it!!!! Those cupcakes look so....good!!! Much Love
    Chari T (deep fried stilettos)xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAPPY BIRTHDAY LADY!
    Your dinner sounds pretty grand and the cupcakes look delish.
    Have a wonderful day and please keep these amazing recipes coming :)

    kelly
    mod human vintage

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAPPY BIRTHDAY Love your blog!! Would love if you can check out mine,

    If you want to follow eachother will follow straight back on bloglovin' & GFC!

    www.kellyjade.co.uk

    xox Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I would love to follow you x

      Delete
  4. Why users still use to read news papers when in this technological globe the whole thing is presented on
    web?

    my weblog Kenny Nordlund graduate education at UCLA

    ReplyDelete