Thursday, October 11, 2012

Pavlova

 I made pavlova!!


This is my first time making it, so I think I did a pretty solid job. I have made something similar in a cake class, but I cant even remember what it was for. There were noticeable sugar granules on the base, but it didn't effect the flavor. My beau loves pav, every birthday he has one for dessert. I'm happy to know that I can make it for him, whenever he visits me in the states. He's not too daring when it comes to fruit topping, so it's just topped it with strawberries and sprinkled cocoa powder on top. Next time, I'm going to go crazy and add everything I like!! The hardest part was waiting for it to cool, since I was really eager to take a bite.

meringue goodness

Pavlova Base
Yield: serves 8-10
(recipe via Donna Hay)
 150ml eggwhites (approximately 4 eggs)
 1 cup (220g) caster (superfine) sugar
 2 tablespoons cornstarch sifted
 2 teaspoons white vinegar
Topping
1 cup (250ml) heavy cream
250g strawberries

Preheat oven to 150°C/300°F.
Whisk eggwhites in a bowl with an electric mixer. Whisk until stiff peaks form.
Gradually whisk in the sugar, contine to mix until the mixture is stiff and glossy.
Add the cornflour and vinegar whisking until just combined.
Shape the mixture into a 18cm/7inch round on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
Reduce oven to 120°C/250°F and bake for 80 minutes.
Turn the oven off and allow the pavlova to cool completely in the oven.
Whisk the heavy cream until soft peaks form.
Spread over the pavlova, and top with strawberries.


9 comments:

  1. Awesome job :) First time and its perfect! Gooey innards with a crisp shell. Fab job :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favourite cake! <3
    http://namelessfashionblog.blogspot.it/
    http://www.facebook.com/NamelessFashionBlog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job for your first time! Can't go past a good pav.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT YOUR BLOG!!!!! I'm following you now!!!!! I hope you follow back :) much love
    Chari T (deep fried stilettos)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOOHHAAAAHHHH!
    OMG That looks freaking delicious!
    xoxo
    K.
    http://shinigami-u-openingmymind.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete