Monday, May 7, 2012

Lemon Meringue Pie

My beau's mom received this huge bag of lemons from a friend, so she wanted to use them up. I went through tons of ideas on what to make, of course typing 'lemon' in the search bar of Pinterest. My heart was already set on Lemon Meringue Pie beforehand, because I shared one months ago with my beau. It's always awesome when my beau has his mindset that he doesn't like something, like lemon flavored desserts in particular, and it turns out he loves them! He's definitely evolving!

I used two separate recipes for different components of the dessert, which probably wasn't completely necessary. I did need a shortcrust recipe though, because the frozen shortcrust sheets in the freezer were about two years old! My favorite component is the meringue, it really is perfect! It's light and airy yet, still has that foamy mouth feel that meringue possesses. I felt so-so about the crust, everyone that tried it didn't find a fault with it. But I made much better shortcrust than the one I made, It could be possibly an error I made during hand mixing the dough. Because it did have a gritty feel for whatever reason. The lemon filling was quite tart, so I would use less lemons next time. I did get perched lips after a few bites, so yeah, sour face. But overall, everyone really enjoyed it!!


Lemon Meringue Pie

Crust (recipe via Exclusively Food)
70 g (1/2 cup) self-raising flour
130 g (3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon) plain flour
30 g (1 tablespoon plus 3 teaspoons) sugar
120 g cold butter, cubed
1 large egg

Lemon Filling ( recipe via Exclusively Food)
56 g (4 tablespoons & 3 teaspoons) Cornflour
170 g (3/4 cup) sugar
180 ml(2/3 cup plus 2 teaspoons) fresh lemon juice
230 ml (2/3 cup plus 1/4 cup) water
60 g butter (cubed)
3 large egg yolks

Meringue (recipe via Not so Humble Pie)
4 large egg white, room temperature
1 tablespoon of cornstarch
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar

Crust
I did not have food processor so I had to mix it by hand, probably my downfall. So I mixed the flour and the sugar together. I cut the butter in little cubes so it would be easier to work through. Rub the butter through the flour with your hands/fingertips. Add the egg, stir to combine. Form a ball and place in the refrigerator for an hour.
[Work on the lemon filling in the meantime]

Preheat oven to 180C/356F.
Roll dough out on a floured surface to fit a 9'' pie plate. Gently lift the dough in the pie pan, and press down lightly. Trim the overhanging crust.
Place a sheet of baking paper on top of the pie and fill with pastry weights/uncooked rice.
Bake for 10 minutes.
Remove the pastry weights & baking paper, continue to bake for another 10-15 minutes.


Lemon Filling
Combine the cornflour, sugar, lemon juice, and water in a medium saucepan; stir until the mixture is smooth.
Place the saucepan over medium-high heat and stir constantly until it reaches a boil. Reduce the heat to low, and stir for 30 seconds until the color changes from cloudy to transparent with a thick yet smooth consistency.
Remove saucepan from heat and stir in the egg yolks and butter. Continue to stir to make sure all the ingredients are well combined and the butter has melted fully.
Pour filling into a container, refrigerate until cold.


Meringue
Preheat oven to 177C/350F. Place oven rack near the bottom of the oven.
Combine cornflour and water in a saucepan. Place over medium high heat and stir constantly until it has formed a transparent thick gel. Set aside. 
In a large mixing bowl, lightly beat the egg whites and cream tartar to dissolve. Start beating on medium-low speed until foamy and start sprinkling the sugar in while beating at stages, so it has time to dissolve. Continue to beat until it forms stiff glossy peaks. Add the cornstarch gel and beat to combine. 


Assembly
Spoon lemon filling into the cooled pastry shell, make sure its spread evenly. 
Spread the meringue over the pie, making a border around the edges first then filling it in. 
Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown. Allow pie to stand for at least 15 minutes before cutting.


6 comments:

  1. I would like to make a lemon meringue pie too... but who knows when that will be :) I wish I was there for a taste! It looks delish :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kelly! You should definitely make one soon, perfect spring dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That pie looks so good.. I would love to have a piece right now.. I am definitely try to make it.. Wish me Luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your curd looks amazing :) fab job!!

    ReplyDelete