Sunday, May 20, 2012

Homemade Soft Pretzels


Wheatley fell ill. I could tell he wasn't his normal self when he didn't bolt to his dinner bowl when I filled it up. Hours later he still didn't touch his food! He kept shaking and just wanted to sleep. So I put a water bottle under him and just wrapped him up on my lap. It really broke my heart! As suddenly as his sickness came, it was gone. I was actually relived to see him being a psycho the next day (jumping off everything, running into walls to chase his ping pong ball, dumpster diving).

Sleep-time on my lap
 I have been craving soft pretzels this week. I don't know a place here that sells them. In the states you can just go to the mall and there's typically a pretzel shop inside, with yummy sauces and toppings. I did not know were to find one around here in Australia. So I did the next best thing, I made my own. My beau helped me tremendously, especially during rolling them out. I just couldn't roll them on the kitchen bench as good as he could, so I left that to him.

sprinkled rosemary on some

Homemade Soft Pretzels
(recipe adapted via Two Peas & Their Pod )
yield: 8 large pretzels

1 1/2 cups warm water
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons dry active yeast
3 oz unsalted butter (melted)
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
4 1/2 to 5 cups all purpose flour

3 quarts water
2/3 cups baking soda
1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon cold water
Coarse sea salt (topping) *optional

Cheddar Pretzel Dip

2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper, to taste


Pretzels

Combine water, sugar, yeast, and butter in a bowl. Stir until mixture is combined. Let sit for 5 minutes.

Add the salt and flour to the mixture. Mix with a wooden spoon until mixture forms a dough. Flour bench top lightly with all-purpose flour. Transfer dough to the bench, begin to knead to combine. Continue kneading until dough is smooth and not tacky. Roll dough into a ball.

Coat a large bowl with canola oil and place dough inside. Cover with plastic wrap and place in a dark damp-free spot until the dough doubles in size, 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 218C/425F. Bring water to a boil in a large pot.

Remove dough from the bowl and place on tabletop. Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a long rope. To shape into pretzels, take right side and cross over to the left. Then take the left side and cross over the right side.

Slowly add baking soda to the boiling water. Boil the pretzels in the water solution, 2 at a time for 30 seconds. Remove with a slotted spatula. Place 4 pretzels on each baking sheet. Brush top with egg wash and season the pretzels with sea salt (optional topping).

Bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Mine were baked for 13 minutes, adjust time accordingly.

Remove from oven and let cool.

Cheddar Cheese Dip

Shred Cheddar cheese into a bowl, stand aside.
In a medium saucepan, melt butter and whisk in flour. Pour in the milk and whisk until mixture thickens. Stir in shredded cheese, stir until cheese is melted and smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. (I added paprika for a bit of a kick or mild heat.) Serve with pretzels.

just poured it right on

What type of pretzels do you crave more, soft or hard?

3 comments:

  1. Naww Im glad Wheatley is feeling better. OMG I love soft pretzels!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks, he's sleeping on my laptop now :)Yeah there's nothing like a warm soft pretzel!!

      Delete
  2. These look fantastic! I made homemade, soft pretzels recently, and they are a great snack! Try honey mustard dipping sauce as well; it's also very good!

    Follow my blog :) atoasttoshopaholics.blogspot.com

    Taylor

    ReplyDelete