Friday, March 9, 2012

The Macadamia Castle

I was really looking forward to going to The Macadamia Castle, after frequently passing by on mini day trips to Ballina, NSW. So naturally I wanted to check it out after finding an amazing recipe for macadamia cookies, I had this recipe saved on my bookmarks for months now! Perfect opportunity to get nuts! The cookies were unbelievable but I have to make another batch and take better pictures!

Inside there is a lovely gift shop with little knick knacks and they have warm flavored nuts you can purchase by the gram; our favorites were coconut and honey roasted macadamia nuts. I also bought a pack of chopped nuts for my cookies and banana butter for crumpets and toast. That was the best part.

The worst part was walking around the small park and realizing that the Macadamia Castle did not have any Macadamia Trees or a grove where you can just walk through. I didn't see one tree! I know for sure after reading the terrible google reviews, that's it's a tourist trap. They purchase their nuts from some other place. I just thought it was very misleading to be called Macadamia Castle and they don't grow their own macadamia nuts.

They have an unimpressive mini golf course, the website says that there are 18 holes, which there very well could be, but we didn't check it out because it looked very outdated and overrun. So we walked to the reptile exhibit, which was fine. It was cool seeing the venomous Australian snakes. There were baby chicks in a little hut, which you could touch and pick up. They were soo cute and fluffy. There were also two lamas, although they looked like they were ready to spit at my beau. Most of the exhibits were closed, and the animals were missing. I know places were they will pretend there is an animal or reptile on display, but there's nothing in there. Well that is what it felt like to me. I do not recommend it, because the tickets were 16.99/adult and 11.99/children. So there you have it, the only saving grace are the flavored nuts.

 







No comments:

Post a Comment