Sunday, December 25, 2011

Happy Holidays

Happy Holidays Everyone!

I'm all settled in Australia. Of course my clothes are everywhere because I need a dresser or something to place then inside besides lying them on top of a couch.
I have great news! I got a job as a baker/pastry cook in a boutique hotel in Surfers Paradise! I really didn't think I would find anything as soon as I did. I had an interview one day in the week, the next day a bench test, and the following day it was my first day! It is a full-time job now but then it becomes casual work. I'm just excited about the opportunity :)

I'm really glad I got Christmas off. I do have to work Boxing Day, but ohh well! Yesterday after work my boyfriend and I made Gingerbread Cookies! We bough all the ingredients yesterday, the grocery stores were packed! We have to weave around people, look high and low for a jar of molasses.
They look really cute and silly, and taste amazing. I love gingersnaps with thick icing on top, and this reminds me of my favorite store bought cookies, but better! Kids love these cookies as well, my boyfriend's niece already ate two! I don't want to count how many I already had, but it's Christmas!



Gingerbread Men
Yield: 19 cookies

2 cups AP Flour
0.5 tsp Salt
3/4 tsp Baking Powder
0.25 tsp Baking Soda
0.5 tsp Cinnamon
0.75 tsp Cloves
1.0 tsp Ginger
0.5 tsp nutmeg
8 tbls butter (room temperature)
0.5 cups Sugar
0.5 cups Molasses
1/2 Large Egg

Whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and spices in a bowl.
In a separate bowl, cream together butter and sugar on medium speed until fluffy.
Mix in molasses and egg until it is incorporated
Add in the dry mixture, and mix until combined.
Wrap dough in saran wrap and chill in fridge for at least a hour.

Preheat oven to 350 F ( 176C). Line your baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll dough out on a well floured table to 1/4 thickness. Use your gingerbread man cutter to cut out out shapes. Make sure they are places 2 inches apart on the baking sheets. Bake for 10 mins, I rotated the pan halfway during baking.
Let your little men cool completely.

Time to Decorate!!!!

Basic Icing 

1 Egg White
1 Cup Powder Sugar (sifted)
Food Coloring

Beat egg whites with an mixer until it forms a soft peak. Add in powder sugar gradually, until it forms stiff peaks. Divide icing in bowls. Add any colors you heart desire.
I used a ziploc bag to easily pipe out designs.

4 comments:

  1. I love the cookie with the frown and full pouty lips :) lol
    very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kelly :) It was a lot of fun decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angry man is totally my fave lol :) Happy New Year :) its been such a pleasure reading you blog. Cant wait for more in 2012!! :D x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much Nic! I love your blog as well :)

    ReplyDelete