Sunday, November 6, 2011

Marshmallow Fondant Fail

Wish I could say it's my front yard :p
Hope you guys had a spooky Halloween! I didn't dress up or do anything, barely watched any scary movies. I don't think Resident Evil: Afterlife counts, because it wasn't good or scary. There was one really good scene and I would just watch that specific part involving a giant zombie! I love movies and shows about zombies, I pretty much seen all the popular ones.

So anyway, I made a cake and I had an bad experience with marshmallow fondant! When it came to rolling out the fondant on my table, AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL!

Marshmallow Fondant
recipe from Life With Cake:
1 Bag Marshmallows
2 T Water
1-2 lbs Powder Sugar  (sifted)
Crisco (for greasing)

Place marshmallow and water in a bowl. Melt in the microwave on high-heat for 2 minutes.
Grease a spoon with a thin layer of Crisco and stir mixture.
Stir in sifted powder sugar until it resembles dough.
Knead the fondant out on well floured surface, until it's not sticky.

1st Batch..not ''dough-like'' yet
 I didn't use all of the powder sugar so maybe that's were I messed up? I made two separate batches and the second one was much more firmer and dough-like in consistency than the first. I wrapped the fondant in saran wrap, and had the intentions of using it the next day. When I was ready to roll out the fondant, it was very stressful. I kept adding more and more  powder sugar but it kept sticking to the table. I did turn the fondant after each roll, to help prevent it from sticking. It didn't work, and the powder sugar left trapped lumps inside the fondant dough. Even after all the careful rolling, when I tried to pick up the fondant and place it on the cake. IT TORE, can you imagine that happening ten times.

Patchwork job on the side!
After doing patchwork jobs on the fondant that I ultimately tried to place on cake, thinking I could magically fix it or hide it. WRONG. It still came out lumpy on the cake and it looked really thin.


Wrinkles..yuck!
 I was still able to salvage some fondant for decor. I definitely want to conquer marshmallow fondant because it's quite yummy and I'm jealous of all the beautiful marshmallow fondant cakes on Youtube. Well it won this round...To Be Continued!  

5 comments:

  1. when did you make this cake? Interesting until now I've never heard of marshmallow fondant, which sounds much more delicious then regular fondant.

    great post :)

    kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made it a month ago today. It was really sweet and such a bummer it didn't work out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds delicious - and thats the main thing :) those decorations are great

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg I'm gonna make marshmallow fondant this week and now I'm freaking out. Maybe I should just buy my bday cake...

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Nic Thanks for the sweet words!


    @sugarpuffi I'm sure your cake will turn out wonderfully! I think I should of used a mountain of powder sugar, like everyone on Youtube. Good Luck :)

    ReplyDelete